Who doesn’t love the sound of raindrops on the roof while sitting snuggly inside?
The only thing that could make it better (besides watching an open fire while reading a good book) is knowing that you are harnessing those raindrops for future use around your home or in the garden!
The Most Common Questions Answered
- When is the best time to purchase a water tank?
- How much water do I need to store?
- What style of tank suits me and my home?
- Does the tank comply with Australian Standards?
- How do I keep my water clean?
- Does it come with a 20yr warranty?
1. When is the best time to purchase a water tank?
There is no better day than today! Why wait to start gaining the benefits of having your own water tank?
2. How much water do I need to store?
This really depends on:
- What you want the rainwater for – household use (for toilets and washing machines) or for the garden
- Where you live – the amount of annual rainfall in your area
- How much roof area you have that will capture that precious water
A handy tool to help you is our water usage calculator.
3. What style of tank suits me and my home?
Depending on your property, the physical space available for your tank is crucial in tank selection.
Polymaster’s range is extensive, from as little as 200ltr all the way up to our 50,000ltr Mega Tank.
You can choose different styles that suit your surrounding from a corrugated look, to smooth, to a slimline and even underground tanks.
Check out sizes and styles on our 3D Tank Builder program
This program allows you to see your tank from every angle, the different colours, and what fittings and accessories you need. And when you are done, you can have the specifications of your personalised tank sent to you.
When you invest in a rainwater tank it’s important that you get one that lasts and is fit for purpose. Australian standards are put in-place to give households, peace of mind when it comes a tanks’ usability.
The relevant standards to look out for (from an ISO9001 tank manufacturer) are:
- AS/NZS4766:2006 – Polyethylene storage tanks for water and chemicals
- AS/NZS4020:2018 – Testing of products for use in contact with drinking water
Polymaster is a certified ISO9001 manufacturing facility and all our rainwater storage tanks are certified to AS/NZS4766:2006. The Polyethylene we use, is certified to AS/NZS4020:2018 which is also BPA-free. Polymaster tanks are also proudly Australian Made.
5. How do I keep my water clean?
Prevention is the best solution to clean healthy water, both to reduce sludge build-up and filter contaminants before entering the tank.
By taking preventative measures not only will your rainwater be healthier and cleaner it can potentially reduce on-going maintenance costs, especially when running pumps. Seals wear out quickly if grit and grime is pumped through them.
Several products form part of a sound rainwater collection system which will assist you in achieving better water quality:
- Start at your roof – ensure it is clean and clear of debris. Cut back overhanging trees to reduce leaves or pollen falling on your roof and then washing into your tank.
- Install gutter guard or take time to regularly clean your gutters – reduce leaves/airborne soil accumulating and getting washed into the tank.
- Install a downpipe leaf guard – prevents direct runoff of debris from the roof entering the downpipe. Polymaster has an optional leaf guard that can be installed between the downpipe and tank inlet to automatically remove leaves.
- Install a first flush diverter – helps by diverting only clean water into your tank.
- Connect a Vortex Filter – Maintenance-free filter aerates your water while silently filtering water.
- Add a block out light manhole cover – algae require sunlight to grow.
- Install a mosquito screen/strainer – all Polymaster tanks come standard with a strainer.
- Choose a tank treated with Waterguard antimicrobial protection – keep stored water fresher for longer.
- Install a tank vac – that can automatically clean the inside floor of your tank.
If you want more detail about preventative measures, we have you covered in our blog, keeping your water tank clean and healthy.
6. Does it come with a 20yr warranty?
You want a tank that lasts!
At Polymaster we blend our Polyethylene at our processing plant with a unique formula that allows us to offer one of the longest warranties in Australia – 20yrs.
We’ve been building tanks for over 26yrs and know a lot about making them strong.
The strength of our tanks centre around our Australian design, the weight and type of Polyethylene used, and the UV protection formula.
Each tank is also tested for ‘thickness’ as well a sample taken that is ‘impact’ tested. Each test is recorded against the serial number of the tank, so we can trace the history of your tank.
Your next step
We have over 1200 distributors that proudly get our tanks in-front of their customers.
A list of these stores can be found on the Store Locator at polymaster.com.au
Hopefully this article has helped out, however if you have any other questions, please feel free to call one of our friendly team members on 1800 062 064.
We look forward to helping you capture some precious water in the near future.